With several jars of apricot jam already made & stowed away in the pantry for the year ahead, whilst I’ve already been enjoying it on toast & pastries in the morning I had an idea one morning that I just could not get out of my head… until now.
As far as preserves go, I absolutely adore a good, flavourful apricot jam but can’t help but feel I’m one of the few who truly appreciate it for what it is, simple, sweet, but not overly so, & summery (not to mention it’s one of the easiest jams to make!). So rather than relegate it to my morning croissants or a fruity glaze, I really wanted to make something that celebrated apricot jam.
That’s where the idea for these simple apricot jammie biscuits came from, so named asa these are pretty much my take on the unmistakably British Jammie Dodger. Two short, buttery biscuits sandwiched together will generous, sticky dollops of golden apricot jam. There’s not much more to be said about these perfectly simple biscuits, other than they are a real treat & excellent with a cuppa.
APRICOT JAMMIE BISCUITS
(makes 16 biscuits)
- 115g butter
- 115g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 250-275g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 130g apricot jam
- Begin by placing the butter & caster sugar into a large bowl & beat together until light & fluffy
- Add the egg to the bowl & beat again
- Next, add the flour & mix together until a dough forms, adding a little more if the dough is a little loose & sticky
- Use your hands to bring the dough together & shape it into a round
- Cover the dough with cling film & place in the fridge to rest & chill for at least 40 minutes
- Remove the dough from the fridge & roll out to a thickness of roughly 1/2 cm thick
- Use a 3cm round cutter to cut out 32 biscuits & place them on a baking tray
- Cut out a smaller circle or shape from half of the biscuits (these will be the top half of the biscuit sandwich) & place in the fridge to chill for a further 15 minutes
- Bake the biscuits in the oven at 180C for 10-12 minutes until they turn lovely & golden
- Remove from the oven & leave to cool on their tray for 5 minutes before removing & placing on a cooling rack until cold
- Once cooled, spread a spoonful of the apricot jam on the bottom half of the biscuits before sandwiching together with the top, cut half of biscuit
- The biscuits will keep in an airtight container for several days