Whether you’re a serial snacker, looking for a quick & simple starter or side dish to your meal, or even just looking for a nibble to accompany a hefty glass of wine, let me introduce you to my wild garlic & parmesan bites. These are basically a marriage somewhere between a savoury biscuit & a parmesan crisp. Let me explain… the edges are golden & crispy whilst the middle is buttery & crumbly (are you sold yet?).
Made with just 5 ingredients & one bowl, there’s just enough butter & flour to hold everything together long enough for them to bake & for the wild garlic not to singe in the heat of the oven. Biscuits, crips, bites, whatever you call them, these are little bites of cheesy, garlicky heaven! They’re super moreish!
The best thing about these is that you really don’t need a lot of ingredients for them but they still make the most of the abundance that is wild garlic season. Substantial enough to serve on their own as a snack, or a great side dish for topping or dunking. They pair great with a big old glass of wine or a really good scrumpy cider.
WILD GARLIC & PARMESAN BITES
(makes 12 – easily doubled)
- 50g plain flour
- 50g butter, cubed
- 50g parmesan, finely grated
- 50g wild garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Sift the flour into a large bowl before adding the butter to the bowl
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture begins to resemble breadcrumbs & clump together
- Add the grated parmesan to the bowl & stir through
- Finally, add the chopped wild garlic & stir again
- Use your hands to bring the dough together, kneading & pressing everything together until it’s pliable
- Shape the dough into a short log shape before wrapping in some cling film or a beeswax wrap & place in the fridge to chill for 1 hour
- Once chilled, remove the wrapping & use a sharp knife to cut out 12 rounds from the log, approximately 1/2 cm in thickness
- Place the rounds on a baking sheet lined with parchment & bake in the oven at 180C for 10-12 minutes until they turn golden on top & begin to brown a little on the edges
- Remove from the oven & leave the biscuits to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before carefully removing & placing on a cooling rack to fully cool